Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Flash Memory

Well, three posts today, I guess I am enjoying this too much.

I have a warning for you:

As I was reminded today by the death of the SD memory card I use in my pocket pc, flash memory is very fragile. Memory Cards have a limited number of write cycles they can handle, and when you exceed that number, chances are the card is dead. They also corrupt very easily.

The moral of this story is, backup your memory cards if you are using them in a computer like me. If you are using them in a digital camera, download your camera to your computer regularly. Don't just leave your pictures on the card and buy a new one (people actually do, do this pretty often, walmart markets some of their SD cards as digital "film"). As with everything, Have a recent backup. (I was bad and had only a very old backup, oh well)

1 comment:

Scott Alan Miller said...

I have a relative that does this. What a terrible pain that is. Dozens of flash memory cards and nothing on a computer anywhere. AARRGGHH.