Thursday, February 16, 2006

Rant

As usual, I have other things I should be doing (I'm obviously not), so I am going to try and keep this short, but I'm slightly (more than slightly?) bothered:

Background: Today, I had to do a PowerPoint presentation for a Spanish class I'm taking (stupid projects). Anyway, I spent an hour and made 20 slides on a country. As usual I used boring, but visible, black and white, with a few pictures. No transitions, sounds, animation or other annoying distractions. So far, So good.

The Presentation: When I went to actually present the PowerPoint, I set up the projector (for the teacher ;-) and got started. I had a map, so I went into the PowerPoint menu (found in the bottom, left corner of the screen while presenting) and started using the pen tool to point things out, at which point chaos started. I couldn't believe it, but no one had seen either that menu, or the pen tool before. It had never occurred to anyone to want to draw or do anything while presenting. This wouldn't seem so bad, except that in a mandatory class (8th grade "shop", and possibly some others) PowerPoint is taught as part of the class, requiring you to use all the irritating, distracting features and colors that result in an unreadable mess. Apparently they don't teach how to actually present your slide show (I wouldn't know as I missed a lot of that year due to illness).

Now that my rant is done, A few PowerPoint tips:

First off, If you don't have PowerPoint, and want it, try OpenOffice.org Impress which runs on most modern computers and operating systems.

Number 2: don't use any transitions that make noise, take a long time, or are otherwise distracting.

3.) Don't use weird colors, backgrounds or gradients that make the presentation unreadable (you are trying to get information out, not be artistic)
4.) Practice before hand, if you haven't done this before. Look through the menu on the left (Slideshow menu -> View Show, to display full screen and make the presentation tools available). It seems to help grab people's attention if you are actively drawing/pointing things out, etc.
5.) Don't just read the slides, Present them. Talk about them, etc. People can (mostly, I hope) read for them selves, try and keep them occupied.


Enough for now, Back to my homework (Java Programming right now, which brings me to another comment:)

Java:
Check the java homepage, they are giving out free copies of their commercial IDE and have a beta of the next version out. Check the right side of the page for the IDE (its marked free in red), not sure how long this will last, but for now all you need is a valid sun website account (free)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got a kick out of your post, especially that they're teaching how to do all the PowerPoint features period, without apparently much emphasis on using them when appropriate. Sounds, transition effects, and wacky backgrounds are best saved for the Flash class.

I'm glad you suggest OpenOffice.org Impress--it of course opens and creates PowerPoint format files as well as OpenOffice.org files, and in the new 2.0 version is much better. Much more like PowerPoint, for anyone coming from that program.

It also has the pen tool that you mentioned.

One effect I do think is effective is the sequence capabilities in OpenOffice.org Impress that I imagine Powerpoint has. You can set up a bunch of objects for a demonstration of a process: a fire drill, an engine, etc. Then you can set up an effect for one, then have the effect for the next one run, etc., to accurately and vividly show the process that you need to teach.

Regarding Java, if you haven't been to www.javaranch.com, I heartily recommend it. It's got vast forums, lots of friendly folks giving clear explanations, and a program where you can work on lessons and get critiques.

Ben said...

Thanks for the java link, that does look like a good site, as well as the other comments. It is always nice to get some feedback from the few people who I know do actually read this site, and even better when they enjoy the site.

As for the sequence feature in OpenOffice, I expect it is also in PowerPoint, although I'm not sure how to use it. I am going to have to look into that later ;-)