Thursday, March 30, 2006

Nikon RAW images w/o Nikon Capture

I touched on this earlier, in my GIMP post, so check that out if your not already familiar with GIMP.

Anyway,

Many of the more expensive digital cameras available today can save images in RAW format, with little or no compression and processing. This allows the photographer to do more post-processing with less image quality loss. Unfortunately, each camera manufacturer uses a slightly different file format, and Nikon at least requires that you buy special software to read the files (I recently bought a D50). Luckily, there are a few plugins for GIMP (and standalone programs) for converting and manipulating RAW files. After some experimentation, I have decided that I prefer UFRaw to the other alternatives (see my last post). UFRaw functions on most common operating systems, and supplies a standalone converter, a GIMP plugin and a batch conversion script. The GIMP plugin and GUI program have a nice import interface which allows you to adjust color curves, exposure, white balance and a few other options. Just using this screen alone, you can make drastic changes to your pictures. Once you get the image into GIMP/Photoshop, you can make even more changes, before saving as a jpeg or other lossy format, with almost no loss of quality. If your camera can produce RAW files, it is defiantly worth a try. UFRaw uses the DCRAW library, so in addition to the NEF files produced by my Nikon, most other common RAW files are also supported.

Because I have a good one on hand, below is a well cropped example produced by the UFRaw batch conversion script this afternoon of a frog (there are a lot of frogs in a pond near my home this week for some reason).

Well, back to my Biology homework ;-(
Have fun with GIMP

No comments: