Sunday, March 11, 2007

Debian Package of the Day

Just a quick post to prove I'm alive ;-)

Apparently some Debian developers have started a "package of the day" project to help introduce people to some of the software available in the Debian repositories. I imagine this could be very useful to people just starting out using Linux (I'm sure there will be more of those, now that Vista is out). They also have a Ubuntu version but I'm not sure how much difference there is between the Debian and Ubuntu repositories anyway, so you might just want to keep track of both. (via ./)

Being a Gentoo user, I find that the Gentoo online package database is also very good for this. Either browse by category or check out what has been updated recently.

There are also some handy list of Windows programs and their open source/Linux equivalents, such as the one offered by the Linux Equivalent Project or this list (which seems a little out of date to me)

No comments: