Monday, January 02, 2006

Family Visits and Computers

This would have been better posted a week or two ago, but I am reminded now because of the aftermath.

When family member visits you tend to allow them to use your computer, which you hopefully keep virus/spyware/problem free. The trouble is, you don't know all that much still and/or aren't keeping too much track of their use (they are family after all). The guest says they "do this all the time at home" and sound like they know what they are talking about, but when they leave suddenly your computer is a disaster. Sound familiar? If not take this as a warning. This has happened inside my family and I just fixed a neighbor's computer after this happened to them (cool web search isn't). Watch out! and try to make your family aware of online threats (I can't believe how many people don't even have a virus scanner, firewall and antispyware tools yet run Windows). Not that I really know what to do about it, except keep track of your computer, particularly watch out for kids who instant message with even more clueless friends and exchange files/viri (I have some cousins who drive virus scanners crazy).

Just a friendly warning based on my nights activities ;-)

2 comments:

Scott Alan Miller said...

Try running Linux in a virtual machine or potentially even Windows in a virtual machine. Roll back any changes made after visitors use your computer. It is an easy way to make a sandbox for them to play in without endangering your own system.

Ben said...

I didn't even think of that, good idea.

For the benefit of everyone else:
You can set that up for free by taking a look at my vmware post: http://mben12.blogspot.com/2005/12/vmware.html
vmware actually has a web browser sandbox virtual machine for that purpose.