Friday, January 06, 2006

Google's Latest Good Idea.

Google released a new tool called "Google Pack" this afternoon (pack.google.com) which seems like a great idea to me. It includes all the usual nifty Google software and some other useful utilities that everyone should have like ad-aware and a "special edition" of Norton's virus scanner. It also includes firefox. I would have liked to have see a firewall (zone alarm?) included but otherwise it is a great kit, as long as people use all the software. The news article I read also said that trillian is included but the Google website doesn't mention it and I haven't had a chance to try it for my self yet. If it turns out to be up to the usual Google standards I think I may start using it on all the computer people have me come fix due to spyware and virus problems that have no software what so ever on them, since Google also includes a tool to keep things up to date. This seems like more or less everything a new computer needs but I do hope Google decides to expand it with an optional firewall and office suite (openoffice or abiword maybe?)
Anyway, If you have a new windows XP machine it might be worth a try. The Google blog also has a post but I don't have the link right now since my ISP is having troubles.

As a follow-up to the aim issue I mentioned yesterday, it seems to have resolved its self as of late this afternoon. On the same topic of instant messaging, I have noticed that if you use the yahoo protocol with gaim 2 beta there is a new whiteboard feature which works surprisingly well, called doodle I think. Check it out (gaim.sf.net)

No comments: