Monday, April 24, 2006

"Freespire"

Linspire sent me an email this afternoon about a new, free version of their Linux distribution called "Freespire".
Personally, I don't like Linspire (too much is hidden from the user) but for a lot of people, its an ok choice as a free operating system. I will probably give Freespire a try sooner or later, but If your not on the Linspire mailing lists, I though I would share the news. The note didn't say too much about what the differences are between Linspire and Freespire, but I'm sure there will be some. I'm as curious as anyone else, so feel free to leave some thoughts in the comments of this post if you give it a try. It looks like they aren't offering a download yet, (probably because the web server is being hit pretty hard right now), but you can check out the Freespire site here. If you weren't already familiar with Linspire, (some may know it by its former name of "Lindows") you can go here. Of course, for most people Windows or MacOS is fine, if you just want to give Linux a try, then I recommend you give Knoppix a look.

No comments: