Sunday, December 11, 2005

Google Video

I'm pretty busy this afternoon so I don't have time to say anything useful but I thought you might like a link, but first some background:


Google Video is a google service (No!) which hosts people's videos. Anyone with a google account can upload a video for people to watch. I have heard its based on the videolan project but at least on Linux/Firefox they seem to be using shockwave (though I do have vlc plugins installed). Anyway it works very well, and there are some good videos, though there are also a lot of very bad videos, hence my link.


On a side note, videolan is a good client/server toolset for streaming video over a network. The client (vlc) can also be used as a simple server, working well for the normal home user. It can handle most common codecs, and also serves as a good all around media player for most operating systems (they even have a PocketPC version). Worth a try if you want to stream video from one room to another (opensource "media center" setup maybe?). Maybe I will post instructions later if there is interest (I had it working years ago)


Enjoy, and Happy time wasting with Google Video!

No comments: